Physique athletes’ diets are all about the lean protein. But where’s the color? Use these seven suggestions from the American Dietetic Association to enjoy more fruits and vegetables.
1. Make a rainbow salad with mandarin oranges, apples, avocado, blueberries and spinach.
2. Grill colorful kabobs and pack them with tomatoes, green and red peppers, mushrooms and onions.
3. Get saucy with fruit: Puree berries, apples, peaches or pears for a thick, sweet sauce on grilled or broiled seafood or on protein pancakes.
4. Blend frozen strawberries or blueberries with a banana, your favorite protein powder and milk.
5. Turn any omelet into a hearty meal with broccoli, squash, carrots, peppers, tomatoes or onions.
6. “Sandwich” in fruits and vegetables. Add pizazz to sandwiches with sliced pineapples, apples, peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes as fillings.
7. “Grate” complement: Add grated, shredded or chopped vegetables such as zucchini, spinach and carrots to lasagna, meatloaf and pasta sauce.