For burning calories in the shortest amount of time, jumping rope may reign supreme. You could burn up to 20 calories a minute; that’s 400 calories in 20 minutes. Not to mention that it is the perfect can-be-done-anywhere, rain-or-shine cardio. Use these tips from the American Council for Exercise to get the most out of this fat-blasting activity.
- Don’t jump too high. The faster you go, the closer to the floor you want to be.
- Do hold the handles firmly. Do tuck your elbows into your body.
- Don’t raise your shoulders near your ears. Relax!
- Don’t keep your legs straight — slightly bend your knees.
- Do use your wrists to swing the rope in an arc over your head.