If you train, work and play hard, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Daily stresses can cause chronic inflammation, and eating five or more servings can lessen it, according to a Spanish study published in the May 2010 issue of Nutrition & Metabolism. Use these suggestions to pump up your produce consumption:
• Add a half cup of berries to your morning oatmeal.
• Make one meal a hearty salad, made up of a dark green lettuce and at least three other fruits or vegetables.
• Eat a piece of fruit with your protein shake before workouts.
• Serve up your lean protein with two different types of steamed vegetables.
• Vow to eat produce each time you eat; a half cup or one piece counts as one serving.